Find out how to keep your child safe online.
Top Tips for Parents:
- Be present when your child is online
- Talk regularly to your child about how to keep safe online and the importance of talking to you or another trusted adult if they are worried about anything
- Ensure that you set up parental controls for all devices at home. This will help to restrict the types of consent that your child can view, as well as help you to monitor their activity.
- Make sure you talk to your child about how they shouldn’t succumb to peer pressure.
- Decipher whether things are real or hoax as not everything you see online is true.
- Report any material that you deem to be inappropriate or harmful as soon as you come across it. You should also block the account/content to prevent your child from viewing it.
- Speak to the safeguarding lead within your child’s school should you have any concerns regarding your child’s online activity that could affect them.
- Children can contact ChildLine on 0800 1111 if they would like to talk to a trained counsellor about anything that is worrying them.